Thursday, February 28, 2008

Back with some mild ranting

I'm still wondering about the whole "Y is the new X" thing. Who thinks up stupid things like that? Very non-creative people I suppose.

Today I ran across our copy of New York Magazine, the one with Lindsay Lohan recreating the Last Sitting. Naturally, one of our patrons felt the need to cut the pictures out with scissors, thus defacing the magazine. Granted I am assuming it was a patron and not someone who works here because after all aren't librarians supposed to believe in freedom of expression? Now back to the rant...

I'm not so certain I care that the pictures were cut out. Go to New York Magazines online site and you can see them, plus a couple that did not get put in the magazine. Big deal. I don't like the vandalism, but I think it proves something I believe. IF you want to prevent crimes like theft, vandalism, etc. you have to establish a visible presence at your work area. This means that librarians have to (ohmigawd don't say it) WALK AROUND! Get off your lazy butt and take a walk around your reference area when you're on the desk. It's just like any other business, if people see you, you make eye contact, maybe talk to them a little, offer to help, they are much less likely to damage/destroy/steal material. Why? Because as you walk around and do those little things they get UNCOMFORTABLE. Duh!

No comments: