Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Random ramblings from February
I got a disturbing email this morning. A friend from high school sent out a mass email asking us to pray for her best friend who Is recovering in the hospital today, a victim of domestic violence. The best friend is an acquaintance of mine. I would hesitate to call her a friend since I haven’t had contact with her since our 10 year high school reunion 10 years ago. Prior to that, I hadn’t seen her since we were in our junior or senior year of high school, so it would be hard to call her my friend as well. The links to the two stories are here: http://www.riograndesun.com/articles/2010/02/18/news/doc4b7c46ea6f84a714742537.txt Rio Grande Sun
http://www.koat.com/news/22586611/detail.html KOAT Channel 7
The domestic violence thing is what bothers me. Both my wife and my sister have been victims of domestic violence. I have no doubt that there was a history, however subtle, of domestic issues for this acquaintance and I’m sorry that for whatever reason she wasn’t able to leave. My hope is this woman recovers and is able to move on with her life. I would ask that you offer prayers to a god I’m not on the best of terms with on her behalf.
On another topic, I’d like to rant a little about politics. We live in a great country that is currently being hamstrung by it’s political system. Regardless of political affiliation, it should be obvious that we have a problem and it needs to be fixed. Too many decisions are being held up for the simple reason that “the other party” introduced the idea. It’s no wonder that the world looks at us with disdain, we can’t seem to accomplish anything without subjecting it to some ridiculous political shenanigans.
Two things I would like to encourage all of you out there to do:
1) Get acquainted with the issues. Take the time to actually read both sides of the argument and fact check what you hear. Don’t waste time just listening to some talking head like Glenn Beck or Arianna Huffington, unless you’re willing to research what they are telling you and see if it’s actually factual or just their spin on it. We live in a world where this kind of fact checking is easy, take the opportunity to find out the truth instead of just drinking the Kool-Aid provided by people trying to sell themselves.
2) Get out and vote. Prove to your senators and representatives that they work for us, the people of the United States. There is no accountability in the capitol these days and it needs to change. The best change may come by getting the career politicians who will only tell you what they think you want to hear, yet don't actually do anything.

No comments: